Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Computer rebooted, words, icons etc. gone bigger? Also, standby option disabled. ?

As a cause of my last question (computer went into safe mode) I had to reboot my computer (I tried simply repairing windows but it didn't work). Now the monitor shows things larger than normal; the icons are bigger so that I can only fit about 7 in a column in a 8ish 9ish inch screen, wheareas before I'm sure I could fit 8 or so. The taskbar at the bottom with the start menu is a bit too thick and I have to scroll sideways alot when I'm on the internet which is very annoying. I tried to change the screen resolution but that just made it all much too small. I've tried using the monitor aswell (from where you can change the brightness/contrast etc.)



Also, I can't put it on stand by anymore, when I go to turn off my computer the standby option is faded out. Do I need to reinstall any drivers or something?



The black screen that used to come up before when I turn on my computer still comes up, the one that says %26quot;Floppy diskette not found, press f1 to continue or f2...%26quot; (something like that). I can just press F1 and go to windows but I don't think it should be coming up, how do I get rid of it?



I run windows XP. All help very much appreciated.Computer rebooted, words, icons etc. gone bigger? Also, standby option disabled. ?
If by %26quot;reboot%26quot; you mean you had to reinstall Windows from the installation disk or the recovery partition (this is called System Recovery, or formatting the disk), I think your screen is in default VGA mode. Try this:



1. After you've booted, right-click on the desktop and select Properties.

2. Click the Settings tab. There should be a slider with the possible sizes for your screen. You should be at the lowest resolution. Try sliding the slider to the right, towards %26quot;More%26quot;.

3. Click the Apply button to have Windows try the resolution. If it looks better, great. If not, you should be able to revert it.

4. If the slider won't move, then you may have to download drivers for the video board before resetting the resolution.



The Standby Option problem could again be a configuration issue (if you DID do a system recovery, you'll be picking those out of your hair for a good while).



Hope that helps.Computer rebooted, words, icons etc. gone bigger? Also, standby option disabled. ?
sounds like the computer is in safe mode. Just look up 'how to get computer out of safe mode' on the internet or something along those lines and you might get what you're looking for =]. sorry I can't help that much, as I only have a bit of an inclination as to what is wrong with your computer.Computer rebooted, words, icons etc. gone bigger? Also, standby option disabled. ?
as far as the size of everything, i'd assume going into Safemode redid your resolution. Try just right clicking on the background of your computer and going into properties, then settings tab, and turning up your resolution, sure it set you back down to the default smallest reso.Computer rebooted, words, icons etc. gone bigger? Also, standby option disabled. ?
someone has saved settings to your pc you can change how big the icons are in properties right click your desktop and go to properties
  • phone
  • caught by your spouse
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment